Thursday, May 31, 2012

Medicine in canada

So my 1st week in medicine is almost over and im glad that it ended up with no big damage to my self esteem :p

So yeah i was assigned to team A in a quiet jewish hospital. My consultant is or shall i say was a big shot ! Hez pretty famous and a graduate of harvard university, hez known to be very sarcastic and pick on students and i was really nervous the whole time but he never really attacked me but definitely he was picking on one of the med stdents in my team. Anyway tomorrow we will be having a new senior, it seems that team leader changes every month ! The new doctor is known to be smart and really good so yay for that! Hope he doesnt pick on ppl too.
So my team is kinda small and things are weird here too
So in medicine, u have 1 staff dr which equals to consultant in kuwait. A senior resident ( hez in his 2nd year of the 5-yr residency program ) , 2 first year residents, medical students in their last year of med school.
So basically our boss is a 2nd yr resident and hez sweet and all bs 7ada mo mal teaching and he talks in a funny way! Ma afham shno yeqol!! And i dont know if this is good or bad but hez been going too soft on me :( i want him to teach me how to do stuff :/ and thenn i got 2 first year residents and they are amazing!! Like so smart and all, ill definitely stick myself to them coz they ARE teacher material and would teach me and stuff. Then i have one med student whoz thaay3 bl6osha! Hez not interested in med so he couldnt care less about what goes on here :/

So imagine!! All the drs in the ward are ppl in their SECOND YEAR RESIDENCY!! Thats crazy!!! Even in the on call, we take charge, year 2 with year 1 and medical students!!!!!! Now that was shockin until i heard the story of their medical school!!

In canada/US, u cant join med school after high school. U need to do a bachelor in ANYTHING inshalla economy! So they spend 4 yrs studying somethin else first ( my senior has a bachelor of mechanic engineering!!!!!!!!!!! ) and then u can try to apply for med school. Now gettin in isnt easy at all that people end up doing masters and even PhD to get in!!! Can u imagine that??? Thats why they are old when they join med school which is 4yrs only.

But again, i cant believe that they leave people in the hands of residents. People who are still studying for their subspeciality :/ but u know, its really impressive how much they know!! THEY KNOW ALOT, actualy they act like real drs !!!

So what happens is that we , the team, see our patients and write plans and then we do a round once a day with the senior who might correct our approach n stuff !!

So ya back to me.. So ya my team been easy on me and i want em to take me seriously coz im still doing my PEAP and once july starts, ill be officially a RESIDENT and ill be in charge of people and stuff :/ so i really wanna take advantage of the quiet environment and stuff to learn as much as i can before the real thing starts. Plus i feel left out :/ its like no one wants to be around me :( they always make plans and then spread out leavin me standing behind and im sick of begging them to give me attention!! Like today for example, ive been here for an hour and no one is answerin my calls or anything!! This is so frustrating!!
And i cant study in the hospital, its too noisy :/

Blaaah

Anyway i got no weekend this weekend! Im on call on saturday! So i go to work at 8am amd get off sunday 8am and probaby sleep all sunday off :/

Im gonna go try to find em now n if i couldnt! Ill just.. Urgh i dunno! Go home??

1 comment: