Saturday, May 19, 2012

busy week

so its been a busy week .. no wait, not 100% busy but lets just say unpredictable in a way ... im still having problems organizing my days .. thats why i wasnt able to update my blog although i promised myself that id update it daily. so to summarize the last week .. 1. i met one of the kuwaiti psychiatry residents here. lets call him peter because he has peter pan syndrome. he has just finished the program (5yrs) but he's planning to do 1 or 2 yrs for the subspeciality . to be honest, i wasnt excited about meeting him in the beginning, because he just graduated and that makes him my SENIOR and me and seniors dont get along because of my lack of professionalism! so i was a bit hesitant but then after a couple of chats on whatsapp, he seemed friendly and not so prof if you know what i mean. so we met and he took me out for dinner in yorkville ,one of the most luxurious part of toronto, and we talked, we talked alot .. i opened up to him too quickly i think lol, we talked like old friends lol, we even shared an ice cream !!!, it was fun and i didnt feel the need to be professional or anything. plus hes only 29 lol . hes a really nice guy, he looked a bit na3im to me but naah i dont think he's gay! anyway gay or not, he;s a keeper :P . he also loved how hyper/loud i am lol .. thats new :P the best thing about him that he lived all his life outside kuwait, he left kuwait when he was 15 to study so he's pretty open minded and i dont think i need to worry about being misunderstood or being led on :D. p.s: i think i need to do some self control here .. ive never had guys friends before so im acting on my default mode which is the same way i acted with my girl friends lol but obviously, its way too wrong lol oh speaking of guys, one of my old colleagues , B called me the other day around 4am kuwait time and he was upset about his sister needing a surgery and stuff.. i found it a bit wierd, I DONT MIND IT but B is great friend of mine and i dont wanna lose him, he's been calling me and checking on me alot lately, i hope this is out of friendship .. i dont want it to end up like my ex best friend who eventually admitted falling in love with me and thats when things went down the drain :( ohh one interesting thing that peter told me that this year's applications were so impressive. he said the committee here was astonished by how strong the CVs are .. there were people with master degrees, people with alot of research and before the interviews, they couldnt make up their mind on whom to choose.. what happened is that i wasnt part of the original people to be interviewed OBVIOUSLY because of my poor CV and grades but one guy cancled the interview and thats when i got in but i still had to compete with other strong candidate .. the toughest was that suadi girl and the reason why i was chosen over her is that I MADE A MISTAKE IN THE INTERVIEW !! he told me that that suadi girl made a mistake in the interview but didnt admit it and insisted that it was right but in my case, i admitted it was a mistake and i told them that id seek the help of my seniors and thats why they chose me !! lol ... so i guess sometimes lack of confidence and being stupid can get you into places lol .. he also said that i should be REALLY grateful to be accepted because they are planning on reducing the seats for gulf students so the number will be reduced from 3-2 seats every year to 1 and they started doing this by only accepting me this year :S .. wow now i feel lucky . so yep, i got my ID, got my pager and the only thing missing here is my UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO tshirt :D .. i might be really excited about it but i can totally see me crashing that pager because it wont stop beeping lol.. so i spent my 1st day at work doing some sort of computer training .. they have everything recorded on computers and its so impressive, you can even read the notes from other hospitals regarding your patients.. it is so damn impressive but very complicated to. it was supposed to be a 4hr training session but it took me like 24hrs!! it was information overload to me :s and then u get to be tested on it too :s .. the other down side of this system is that its taken too seriously, imagine that ull be questioned if you opened a patient's file who is not yours or if you are a surgeron and you went to read his psychiatric file :S so i dont know .. ohhh even you are not allowed to discuss a patient's case with anyone outside your team or who is related to the case :S .. thats pretty freaky lol so yeah after i finished my EPR training ( electrical patient records), i took the exam and passed it yaay .. to be honest, i was realy freaking out, didnt think ill pass it but i did so im not gonna complain and with this done, i can start working . the worst thing about work is the waking up part! i mean work starts at 8 and waking up shouldnt be a big deal but when your work ends at 5-6pm and u stay up til midnight to talk to family and friends, ull be waaay too exhausted and that 7hrs of sleep will not be enough. here they dont hve any tolerance for abstinence or coming late to work :s so im worried about that .. see my original plan was to wake up really early to jog before work but then i thought this will be painful so i decided to do jogging after work especially that sunset is around 8.30 but im assuming that ill be too exhausted to jog then :S my official first day was really long .. so im doing my PEAP which is 8-12weeks of CL psychiatry and 4 weeks of medicine. so ill be doing 2 weeks CL psych then 4 weeks med then ill return to CL psych again to finish my 8-12 wks. CL psychiatry deals with mental illness in medical/surgical patients .. so its more of psychosomatic medicine .. you deal with depression in a patient with cancer, anxiety with patients of heart attack for example or any mental illness that results from medical/surgical medications/procedures. its an interesting subspeciality that im thinking of doing once i graduate . anyway the unit is pretty small and BUSY! work starts at 9 am and ends anywhere between 5:30-8pm .. ****SHOCKED*** i dont know how exactly things go here but from what ive seen, we come at 9 am and then our pagers start ringing and we go see assigned patients .. as long as we are on duty, we can see anyone .. its not like we have a certain number of patients you know .. so from 9 till 2:30, we see patients on our own then we discuss it at 2:30 meeting and then we have our rounds .. it doesnt sound so hard yeah, but the long hours is the thing killing me ..its a BIG HOSPITAL, really busy so they keep you busy plus they have this huge unit for cancer and those are the ones we mostly see .. so on my 1st day i was shadowing angelo, a 4th yr resident who talked in a funny way , o thought he had an accent but when i looked carefully, the guy had hearing aid on so im thinking that he's deaf or something .. and that got me really IMPRESSED !! those people are FIGHTERS .. although he seems to be deaf, never the less, he lived his life and joined medical school and now he's doing psychiatry .. not only he's a doctor but he chose the field in which he'll be exposed to people everyday.. he didnt feel embarrassed of his funny accent or his hearing aid ..he's a guy worth admiring wallah. bs allah yesam7a !! qa6ni 3ala 9a5ar!! i was supposed to shadow him only but he made me take history and present the case .. he was like: YOU ARE A RESIDENT AND YOU WONT LEARN UNLESS WE THROW YOU IN THE WATER and he threw me in so well lol .. and he was like: today im being gentle with you, by next week, things will get serious !! LOL thats just too freaky lol.. im glad that they didnt tell me anything about being on call and im glad that we have a long weekend here .. so monday is an off day and im gonna use this time to read abit!! they really scared the hell out of me lol so in the unit, there was this suadi guy, hes doing a one month observer ship so he;s like a trainee ..so after work, i was really starving ( didnt eat anything from 9-6:30 ) and i wanted to know about the unit so we went out for dinner and god, i need some self control again :P ..i was really hungry and i was craving pasta and steak so i made him get the pasta and i had the steak and i ate from his plate *buries my head under* I KNOW I KNOW, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME RIGHT !!!!!!!!!! dude i keep on forgetting that these are GUYS and not my old girl friends :S !! omg i have no freakin idea what i was thinking back then :S .. guess when im hungry, i go coco !!! but seriously, bada3t :( anyway that was it ! today, i was supposed to go out, get a haircut, buy a camera and attend a stand up comedy at night but im so exhausted to go out now plus my place is a mess so i need to do some cleaning, AND SOME READING, i wanna finish the hunger game and STUDY A BIT .. AND WATCH NARUTO !! damn i need to do so much in so little time :s AND WORK OUT !! lol i better bounce now and get some stuff done !!

No comments:

Post a Comment